Saturday, November 22, 2008

Plan 1: The da Vinci Exhibit at The Tech Museum

I'm a member of The Tech museum in San Jose, and they kept emailing me about the da Vinci exhibit.  I found a handful of friends who were interested in seeing it, and see it we did!

The exhibit didn't focus on a particular aspect of da Vinci's life: rather it was a broad-strokes approach to everything he did!  Art, science, architecture, engineering.  The photo at right is a dodecahedron that included decomposition of it's parts and tangent lines; there were several exhibits where a simple shape was decomposed or repeated and incorporated into machines or architectural features.  

Planning the Plan
I'm interested in the psychology of getting people to come do stuff.  I sent out a mass email to get people to come, plus I sent a few personal emails.  It seemed like the personal emails had a better success rate; and the people I talked to in person were also more amenable.  I know this is a small sample size to judge from, but it seems like the personal approach is more effective in motivating people than a mass email.  evite.com is an interesting hybrid of personal/impersonal -- it's a mass email, but it has a couple appealing features that make it seem personal: it sends out reminders and you can go to the site and see who else is going before you commit.  For Plan 2, I started with only mass email, and I got a really low response rate; I'll need to bolster the ranks with personal appeals... but more on how that turned out in a future post!

No comments: